Thursday 25 July 2013

The Double Whammy: Boston Tea Party and Loki Wine (with Jess)

So it’s the school holidays, a time for teachers to catch up on their social life and hone their drinking skills during the 6 weeks of freedom. Invariably during the holidays, I manage some sort of alcohol and food filled afternoon with Jess as we meander around Birmingham putting the world to right. Our usual haunt is the chic and trendy Bodega (on Bennett’s Hill which I will be mentioning in a future blog), but today, seeing as it is the first week of the summer hols, we went for the double whammy.

First port-of-call: Boston Tea Party, 190, Corporation Street. I’ve come across this chain before in Exeter and was impressed then, so when I heard that a new branch of it had opened in Birmingham, I immediately added it to my list of places to visit. Located slightly out of the town centre, BTP Cafe is situated in a converted pub and still shows a slight inclination to its Victorian past. The interior is reminiscent of an American diner, with distressed red leather booths, but pays homage to the largely young professional clientèle with a trendy vintage décor.

Between Jess and I, we managed to try a good spread. Jess plumped for the tuna melt on a whole-wheat bread which met her approval, especially with the addition of capers, adding a welcoming tanginess which really set off the tuna’s flavour. Along with her standard Coke, she also sampled the Meantime London Lager, which she described as ‘light and hoppy’. Being more of a wine drinker, I will have to take her word for this!



I on the other hand, went for the current trend of super juices, with a Raspberry, Lemon and Mint Cooler. At £3.20 I had high expectations, and I was not disappointed. The flavours complimented each other beautifully and provided a zingy, yet refreshing summer beverage. Along with this, I decided try to homemade wheat-free brownie (in keeping with the wheat-free theme started by the Chocolate Fondant). This again surpassed expectations, and whilst maybe a little dense, the inclusion of dark chocolate made a very rich, indulgent and satisfying afternoon diversion. At £5.80 for the two, it is in line with the typical hipster cafes that seem to be springing up all over the place, but this one really delivered.



Stop two: Loki Wine, 36, Great Western Arcade. What a way to pass an afternoon! For all you fellow winos out there, Loki is a must. Offering a range of up to 24 different wines to taste via an innovative swipe card system, Loki makes wine tasting accessible, yet maintains a level of sophistication that tasting en masse often lacks. A minimum of a £10 top up is required to taste, and with this you can either charge your glass with a shot, ½ glass, or full glass of your favourite tipple. With my more robust palette I started with an 2009 Frescobaldi Chianti (which was probably a bit too full bodied for afternoon drinking without food), followed by a fantastic 2012, Amalaya Reisling which was simply stunning! Slightly more acidic, yet with a pleasing floral note, this is the perfect bevy for a warm afternoon. I might well go back for a bottle of this next time I whip up a Seafood Linguini.



Loki not only offers the tasting experience to passers by, but also various different events and speciality tastings. Also on offer are a range of Gins, Ports and Champagnes. For a more personal service than Selfridges and Harvey Nic’s, Loki will not disappoint

2 comments:

  1. The brownie looks diiiiiiiiivine...

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Queen: it was! Had a real intense kick to it! If you're a brownie lover (who isn't?!) I will try and post my own recipe here this week. It's an absolute corker if I do say so!

    ReplyDelete